Motorcyclists are more vulnerable on the road than other motor vehicles and are therefore more likely to be injured or killed than car occupants. Motorcycles are relatively small in size and can be difficult to see on the road. This requires other drivers to pay attention when they are driving and obey all traffic signs and signals. However, this is not always the case and accidents often happen. In 2016, there were over 5,000 motorcycle related deaths, and in 2015, nearly 90,000 people were injured in motorcycle related accidents.
Causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Alcohol use (alcohol impaired motorcycle riders are less likely to use a helmet)
- Distracted driving
- Type of motorcycle/level of risk taking
- Automobile or truck driver’s failure to yield the right of way to the motorcyclist
- Unsafe road conditions due to potholes or uneven surfaces
Despite following all the correct precautions and wearing a helmet, a motorcycle driver along with any passengers can be severely injured or killed when hit by a motor vehicle weighing thousands of pounds more than the bike. You can suffer a serious injury or injuries, and you’ll need to seek help from a personal injury attorney.
Injuries to motorcyclists are often extremely severe and can include:
- Spinal cord injuries, such as broken necks or backs, which can cause permanent paralysis
- Broken arms, legs, ribs, or other bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Friction burns from being dragged along pavement
- Thermal burns resulting from ruptured fuel tank catching fire
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident resulting in injury or death, it’s critical that you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney will immediately begin reviewing your case and perform an independent investigation of the scene of the accident.
The team of experienced personal injury lawyers at David Brunelle can help you with your case so you can focus on healing and moving forward. Call 413-539-5959 today to get the justice you deserve!
Attorney David Brunelle handles personal injury cases in Western MA, including Springfield, Holyoke, and Chicopee, and in Northern CT, including Suffield, Enfield, and Somers.