Pedestrian accidents can result in physical and emotional trauma for both parties involved. Taking the proper steps in the event of an accident can ease your mind and make the process of resolving your case much easier.
CAUSES OF PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
Distracted Driving – Texting, talking on the phone, disruptive passengers, and driving while intoxicated can all cause a driver to take less care when navigating roadways.
Pedestrian Negligence – While designated crosswalks and bikeways are designed to keep pedestrians safe from oncoming traffic, many people choose not utilize them, creating an unsafe situation.
Driver Negligence – Sometimes drivers fail to follow the rules of the road, providing a dangerous environment even for pedestrians that are utilizing marked crosswalks.
Natural Conditions – Due to lack of light or harsh weather conditions, the sight of drivers may be impaired.
Lack of Safe Walkways – Some areas that are less populated may not provide proper walkways for pedestrians forcing them to walk in the street.
Blocked Views – Infrastructure or foliage may block the view of oncoming vehicles and pedestrians.
Steps you Should Take After Being Involved in a Pedestrian Accident
- Contact law enforcement – It is best to file an accident report directly after an accident occurs, right from the scene of the accident. It is important that all parties – even witnesses – remain present until law enforcement arrives. Also always be sure to retain a copy of the police report for your records.
- Seek medical assistance – Keep in mind that your health and wellbeing always come first. Take a moment to take stock of your injuries, detailing them to medical professionals once you’ve reached a hospital.
- Keep detailed records – Accidents are chaotic. While you may not be in the clearest of headspaces, it is important that you take note of things such as the driver’s insurance and license information, witness contact information, and any medical attention you received as a result of the accident.
- Seek emotional support – Your mental health and wellbeing is just as important as your physical health. If you can, be sure to seek help from friends and family members to get through this difficult time.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer – We know the aftermath of an accident can be confusing and daunting. Seeking the help of a law professional can take some of the weight of navigating the legal process of your shoulders.
THE TEAM OF LAWYERS AT THE LAW OFFICE OF DAVID BRUNELLE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR CASE SO YOU CAN FOCUS ON GETTING BETTER. IF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT AND HAVE SUSTAINED INUJURIES IN WESTERN MA OR NORTHERN CT, CALL THE OFFICE AT 413-539-5959.