Car accidents happen, and you should be aware of what you can claim if you or a family member is injured or died because of the accident. Contacting a personal injury lawyer after a car accident is beneficial because he or she can help you build your case, determine who was at fault, and deal with insurance companies.
Examples of car accidents:
- Someone ran a red light and hit your car
- Head-on collisions
- Your car is rear-ended
- Side-impact collisions
Causes of car accidents:
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Weather conditions
Steps you should take after a car accident:
- Contact the police: Right after your car accident you should file a police report with the local police department. You should also request a copy of the police report directly from the department for your records.
- Seek medical treatment: Injuries from a car accident can vary from minor to major, and it is important to take care of yourself first. When speaking with medical professionals, be sure to report all of your injuries so they can be documented.
- Keep detailed records: If you have sought medical treatment, those records and documents can be used as evidence in your case. You should also write down contact information for any witnesses who may have seen or been involved with the accident.
- Hire a personal injury lawyer: A lawyer can help you through the process after you experience a car accident. He or she has the knowledge about state laws and protocols, what damages and injuries you can claim, and how to take your case to court, if necessary.
The team of lawyers at the Law Office of David Brunelle can help you with your case so you can focus on getting better. If you or a family member have been involved in a car accident and have sustained injuries in Western MA or Northern CT, call the office at 413-539-5959.
Attorney David Brunelle handles personal injury cases in Western MA, including Springfield, Holyoke, and Chicopee, and in Northern CT, including Suffield, Enfield, and Somers.
References for Massachusetts and Connecticut:
- Frequently Asked Questions for At-Fault Accident – Massachusetts: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/doi/consumer/faq-july-2012.pdf
- Auto insurance laws and regulations – Connecticut: http://www.all-about-car-accidents.com/resources/insurance-law/car-insurance/connecticut-auto-insura
- Statute of limitations for car accidents (personal injury) is three years – Massachusetts: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIII/TitleV/Chapter260/Section2A
- Statute of limitations for car accidents (personal injury) is two years – Connecticut: https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_926.htm#sec_52-584