NURSING HOME ABUSE
Placing your elderly loved one in the care of a nursing home can be difficult. When a loved one becomes the victim of abuse on the part of a designated caregiver it is important to act as quickly as possible in order to ensure their well-being.
TYPES OF NURSING HOME ABUSE
- Physical Abuse
- Emotional/Verbal Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Financial Abuse
SIGNS OF NURSING HOME ABUSE1+2
- Visible wounds (scratches, bruises, burns, etc.)
- Withdrawal, depression, inability to make eye contact
- Unexplained withdrawals from bank account
- Elder seems afraid to speak around caregiver/ caregiver is reluctant to leave elder alone with guests or family members
- Elder’s medical and personal hygiene needs are not being met
STEPS YOU SHOULD TAKE IF YOU OR A LOVED ONE ARE THE VICTIM OF NURSING HOME ABUSE1
- Remove elder from the facility – It is essential for the health and well being of the elder that they are removed from a harmful environment as soon as possible.
- Report abuse to a state elder abuse hotline – There are several hotline options in the state of Massachusetts. 3 Reporting can even be done online. 4
- Hire an attorney experienced in nursing home abuse and neglect – A skilled attorney will help you and your loved one maintain the rights that you deserve as well as navigate the legal process.
THE TEAM OF LAWYERS AT THE LAW OFFICE OF DAVID BRUNELLE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR CASE SO YOU CAN FOCUS ON GETTING BETTER. IF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT AND HAVE SUSTAINED INUJURIES IN WESTERN MA OR NORTHERN CT, CALL THE OFFICE AT 413-539-5959.
Sources and Additional Resources: